The purpose of the ERA-EDTA Fellowship Programme is to support basic and clinical research in the field of Nephrology in Europe. In particular to favour the growth of young investigators, to spread specific clinical techniques of Nephrology to all the European Countries and to improve the clinical skills of young nephrologists.
In addition, the ERA-EDTA Fellowship Programme will facilitate scientific exchange and collaboration between European Research Institutions and clinical cooperation between European Renal Centres.
ERA-EDTA supports two different kinds of Fellowships:
RESEARCH FELLOWSHIPS (which can be long or short term Fellowships, LTF/STF) intended for advanced training through research and/or promoting a research collaboration between two institutions;
CLINICAL FELLOWSHIPS (only short term Fellowships, STF), intended for training in specific clinical techniques.
The duration of LTF is more than six months (181 days) and no longer than 12 months. A shorter period than requested may be awarded depending on the score assigned by SAB and the resulting position in the ranking.
The STF duration is from a minimum of 2 months to a maximum of six months (180 days).
From 2006 till 2013, 71 STF and 80 LTF have been attributed and, starting from September 2009, the Programme is no more restricted to exchanges among different European Countries, but is also allowed within the same country; nevertheless, priority will be given to Fellowship exchanges among different countries.
The Fellowship Programme is open to all young investigators and clinicians living in the geographical Area of ERA-EDTA, including all European countries and countries bordering Europe and the Mediterranean Sea: Albania, Algeria, Andorra, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Estonia, Finland, FYRM of Macedonia, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Kazakhstan, Kosovo*, Latvia, Lebanon, Libya, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Morocco, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, San Marino, Serbia, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Switzerland, Sweden, Syria, Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom.
* This designation is without prejudice to positions on status, and is in line with UNSCR 1244/99 and the ICJ Opinion on the Kosovo declaration of independence.
The applicant can propose to have the fellowship in any centre within the ERA-EDTA geographical Area.
Moreover, in order to help the applicants to find a receiving centre, the Association invited Clinical and Research Centres within its geographical Area which are willing to receive a fellow to manifest their availability and created two lists. You may find the lists as well as all details concerning the Centres at the following links:
In 2014, the deadlines will be:
February 1st – first deadline
July 1st – second deadline
The deadline can be changed by the ERA-EDTA Council in case of need.
If this happens, the new date will appear as soon as possible on the ERA-EDTA web-site.
For the complete instructions and rules please read the ERA-EDTA YOUNG FELLOWSHIP PROGRAMME GENERAL RULES.
Fellowship Programme Online Application Form
Links and attachments
- ERA-EDTA YOUNG FELLOWSHIP PROGRAMME GENERAL RULES
- End of Fellowship Report Form
- Clinical Centres List
- Research Centres List
- Call for European Clinical Centres
- Call for European Research Centres
- Fellowship Programme Winners - April 2009 Call
- Fellowship Programme Winners - September 2009 Call
- Fellowship Programme Winners - March 2010 Call
- Fellowship Programme Winners - September 2010 Call
- Fellowship Programme Winners - March 2011 Call
- Fellowship Programme Winners - September 2011 Call
- Fellowship Programme Winners - March 2012 Call
- Fellowship Programme Winners - September 2012 Call
- Fellowship Programme Winners - February 2013 Call
- Fellowship Programme Online Application Form
- Fellowship Programme Email contact